By examining the causes of sarcopenia we can begin to design programs that will delay or even prevent this core element of the ageing process. This will improve quality of life in the elderly, increase their independence, reduce their needs for health care and cut health care costs. The optimal protective strategy includes resistance exercise and enhanced nutrition.
When nutrition alone cannot meet the body’s requirements, nutritional supplementation may help. For example, Slimaluma may be a good choice for those with sarcobesity or metobesity, Gencor has developed a patented process for extracting the key constituents of the Caralluma Fimbriata plant that are associated with appetite suppression, without chemically altering those constituents. This process has allowed Gencor to develop an effective, safe, and easy-to-use ingredient that helps adults of all ages maintain a healthy weight.
When there is a loss of muscle mass, Testofen may provide support. Testofen is a fenugreek extract standardized to 50% Fenuside. Fenugreek is a well-known, versatile herb that contains over 100 phytochemical constituents, including Furostanol Saponins and Steroidal Saponins. While fenugreek has multiple health applications, the active constituents included in Testofen have been shown to increase muscle mass and support healthy energy levels.
- Chen MB, Zhang Y, Wei MX, Shen W, Wu XY, Yao C, Lu PH. Activation of AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) mediates plumbagin-induced apoptosis and growth inhibition in cultured human colon cancer cells. Cell Signal. 2013 May 25.
- Holloszy JO. Regulation of Mitochondrial Biogenesis and GLUT4 Expression by Exercise. Compr Physiol. 2011 Apr;1(2):921-40.
- Janssen I, Shepard DS, Katzmarzyk PT, Roubenoff R The healthcare costs of sarcopenia in the United States. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2004 Jan;52(1):80-5.
- O'Neill HM. AMPK and Exercise: Glucose Uptake and Insulin Sensitivity. Diabetes Metab J. 2013 Feb;37(1):1-21.
- Owen N, Sparling PB, Healy GN, Dunstan DW, Matthews CE. Sedentary behavior: emerging evidence for a new health risk. Mayo Clin Proc. 2010 Dec;85(12):1138-41.
- Parr EB, Coffey VG, Hawley JA. 'Sarcobesity': a metabolic conundrum. Maturitas. 2013 Feb;74(2):109-13.
- Sanchis-Gomar F. Sestrins: novel antioxidant and AMPK-modulating functions regulated by exercise? J Cell Physiol. 2013 Aug;228(8):1647-50.
- Vandewoude MF, Alish CJ, Sauer AC, Hegazi RA.J Malnutrition-sarcopenia syndrome: is this the future of nutrition screening and assessment for older adults? Aging Res. 2012; 2012:651570.
- Yang X, Huang N. Berberine induces selective apoptosis through the AMPK?mediated mitochondrial/caspase pathway in hepatocellular carcinoma. Mol Med Rep. 2013 May 31.