Benefits and market opportunity
Testofen® is a fenugreek extract standardized for 50% Fenuside™.
Testofen is the branded name for Gencor’s fenugreek extract. Fenugreek is a well-known, versatile herb that contains over 100 phytochemical constituents, including Furostanol Saponins and Steroidal Saponins. While fenugreek has multiple health applications, Testofen has been shown to increase sexual desire, help maintain sexual health and muscle mass and support the immune system.* The group of saponin glycosides that Testofen is standardized to is named Fenuside.
After age 30, most men begin to experience a natural and gradual decline in testosterone levels, which can result in reduced desire and a slow loss of muscle tone and definition. Testofen has been shown to promote free testosterone, up to 98 percent, in an eight-week trial (see below).*
Incorporate Testofen in product formulations designed to support healthy sexual function and performance in adult males.*
Both animal and human clinical studies have been conducted on Testofen®.
Study results: The 2010 study of Testofen on the reproductive systems of rats demonstrated that Testofen supported an increase in the weight of the ani-levator muscle, which led to support for muscle mass and body weight.*
Citation: Urmila Aswar et.al, 2010. Effect of Furostanol Glycosides from Trigonella foenum –graecum on the reproductive system of Male Albino Rats. Phytotherapy Research, 24, 1482–1488.
Human study on adult male sexual desire
Study result: A six-week double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical study was conducted in Australia in 2009 on 60 healthy adult males. A formulation containing Testofen as a major ingredient showed a statistically significant increase in the sexual function, performance and satisfaction of the active group.* Study used the DISF-SR index. In addition, the study also found self-reported satisfaction in quality of life measures such as perceived muscle strength, energy levels, and well-being, although these were not analyzed for significance.*
Citation: Steels, E., Rao, A. and Vitetta, L., 2011. Physiological Aspects of Male Libido Enhanced by Standardized Trigonella foenum-graecum Extract and Mineral Formulation. Phytotherapy Research, Vol. 25, 1294–1300. doi: 10.1002/ptr.3360
Human study on free testosterone and performance*
Study Results: A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled human clinical study of 60 subjects was conducted using Testofen as the sole ingredient. The active group demonstrated the following mainly statistically significant results:
- Significant anabolic activity as evidenced by BUN reduction (p<0.05) compared to placebo*
- Significant support for free testosterone (p<0.05) compared to placebo group*
- Immune support (p<0.003) compared to placebo group*
- Significant support for Serum Creatinine levels (p<0.02) compared to placebo group signifying support for Creatine uptake and recycling in muscle cells*
- Significant support for prolactin (p<0.04) compared to placebo group, however, this increase is within physiological limits for men*
- Significant decrease in body fat compared to baseline*
- Supports maintenance of muscle size despite maintaining overall weight and reduction of body fat* (although not significant)
Citation: Wankhede et. al., 2006 “Effect of Testofen on safety, anabolic activity and factors affecting exercise physiology.” To be published.
Approved health claims
The following structure-function claims for Testofen® are provided here for informational purposes only and should be reviewed by your legal counsel prior to use in marketing materials, including product labels.
- Promotes healthy sexual performance and satisfaction*
- Promotes healthy sexual desire*
- Supports free testosterone levels*
- May help maintain muscle mass*
- Supports reduction in body fat*