Benefits and market opportunity
Slimaluma® is a standardized extract of Caralluma Fimbriata.
Slimaluma is Gencor’s proprietary and patented Caralluma Fimbriata extract. Caralluma Fimbriata is a cactus-like plant with long-standing use as food in India. The cactus was often eaten by local tribes-people to ward off hunger while hunting in the forests. Its appetite suppressing qualities make it an ideal addition to modern diets. Gencor has developed a patented process for extracting the key constituents of the whole plant associated with appetite suppression and healthy weight management without chemically altering those constituents. This process has allowed Gencor to develop an effective, safe, an easy-to-use ingredient that helps adults of all ages maintain a healthy weight with diet and exercise.*
Weight management approach*
Slimaluma has properties useful in weight management, the most significant being hunger control.* This appetite suppression leaves Slimaluma uniquely positioned to support the body’s weight management needs.*
Appetite suppression: When adults exercise and burn more calories, they often need to guard against the hunger-induced consumption of extra calories. Slimaluma helps suppress appetite, providing adults with the ability to maintain a consistent caloric intake.*
In addition to being shown to be an effective weight management aid,* Slimaluma has also been:
- Affirmed safe by six toxicity studies
- FDA GRAS Notified (GRN 000500)
- Certified Kosher and Halal
- Certified Organic, as per USDA organic standards
- Shown to be 90% water soluble (in its free-flowing powder form)
- Shown to be stable at high heat
Incorporate Slimaluma in product formulations designed to support healthy weight management.
Several clinical studies have been conducted on the effectiveness and safety of Slimaluma®.
In-Vitro and Animal Studies
Study results for In-Vitro Study: The in-vitro study showed that when a mouse 3T3 pre-adipocyte cell line was treated with Slimaluma, researchers were able to promote a reduction in pre-adipocyte cell division.*
Citation: S. Kamalakkannan, R. Rajendran, R. Venkatesh, P. Clayton and M. Akbarsha, 2011. Effect of Caralluma Fimbriata Extract on 3T3-L1 Pre-Adipocyte Cell Division. Food and Nutrition Sciences, 2, 329-336.
Study results for In-Vivo Animal Study: In-vivo animal study showed a statistically significant reduction in hunger in animals supplemented with Caralluma Fimbriata extract.*
Citation: Kamalakkannan S, et al., 2010.Antiobesigenic and antiatherosclerotic properties of Caralluma fimbriata extract. Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism, vol. 2010, Article ID 285301.
The safety of Slimaluma has been tested in six separate toxicity trials.*
- Acute Toxicity Study at St John's National Academy of Health Sciences, India. An acute toxicity study on was done under OECD guidelines. No toxicity was observed.
- Subchronic Oral Toxicity Study at Bombay College of Pharmacy, India. A Subchronic Toxicity Study was done under OECD guidelines. No toxicity was observed.
- Mutagenicity Study at Intox Pvt. Ltd., India. Mutagenicity Study by Salmonella Typhimurium reverse mutation test was carried out as per the OECD guidelines. It was concluded that the product was non-Mutagenic in all the 5 strains of Salmonella Typhimurium.
- Chromosomal Aberration Study at Intox Pvt. Ltd., India. In-Vitro Chromosomal Aberration Study was carried out on the product as per the OECD guidelines, under GLP conditions. It was concluded that the product was non-Clastogenic in the in-vitro chromosomal aberration test.
- Teratogenicity Study at Intox Pvt. Ltd., India. Teratogencity Study [Prenatal Developmental Toxicity Study] was carried out on the product as per OECD guidelines, under GLP conditions. It was concluded that the product is non-Teratogenic in nature.
- Chronic Toxicity Study at Intox Pvt. Ltd., India. Chronic Toxicity Study was conducted on the product to determine toxicity over long term usage, as per OECD guidelines, under GLP conditions. The study showed that the NOEL [No Observed Effect Level] for the product, following oral administration for six months was greater than 1000 mg/kg body weight, demonstrating strong safety.
Human Clinical Study in India
Study results for clinical trial at St. John's National Academy of Health Sciences, India:
A 60 day, double-blind, randomized placebo-controlled clinical trial was conducted using Slimaluma on 50 subjects. The study showed significant results for:
- Waist circumference*
- Hunger level*
The study also showed a trend of support for decreasing body weight, BMI, hip circumference, body fat and energy intake between assessment time points, but these were not significant.*
Citation: Kuriyan R, et al., 2007. Effect of Caralluma Fimbriata extract on appetite, food intake and anthropometry in adult Indian men and women. Appetite, 48, 338-344.
Human Clinical Study in Australia
Study results for a clinical trial at Victoria University, Melbourne, Australia:
A 12-week randomized, placebo-controlled study was conducted on 43 obese and overweight subjects. The study measured the effect of Slimaluma on waist circumference and waist-to-hip ratio, among other factors. The study showed statistically significant results for:
- Waist circumference (positively correlated with a reduction in abdominal fat)*
- Waist-to-hip ratio decline*
- Significant decline in palatability of test meal and reduced sodium intake*
when combined with healthy diet and exercise.*
Citation: Astell, Katie J., et al. A pilot study investigating the effect of Caralluma fimbriata extract on the risk factors of metabolic syndrome in overweight and obese subjects: a randomized controlled clinical trial. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2013.01.004.
Approved health claims
The following structure-function claims for Slimaluma® are provided here for informational purposes only and should be reviewed by your legal counsel prior to use in marketing materials, including product labels.
- Promotes appetite suppression*
- Increases feelings of satiety*
- Supports healthy weight management*